Sunday, March 25, 2012

On Deck: Granny Squares (and other Sunday Splurges)


These lovely charm packs of Flora by Lauren & Jessi Jung for Moda Fabrics have been hanging out in my stash for months, waiting for me to dig in to. I love the idea of charm packs and have been waiting to be inspired by the right project for these beauties. This collection reads baby blanket to me. I'm not sure why, as the red hues aren't exactly babyish, but there you go.

I started a Pinterest board for charm square quilts and started pinning ideas. The granny square craze that's hit the quilting blogosphere sounded like the right project. Working with itsy bitsy squares didn't really appeal to me, but what if I made gigantic granny squares instead? Lo and behold, it's been done and there's a tutorial and everything! Hooray!


Today was Quilt Sunday at The Workroom and I was hoping to pick up another couple charm packs so that I could make this quilt with nine granny squares but unfortunately they were sold out. Instead, I decided to supplement with Kona solids: canary, aloe, grass green and paprika. The background will be PDF Bleach White.


I made some more progress on my Wonky Log Cabin placemats today. In fact, I finished quilting the final two. So exciting! These have been WIPs for far too long. Plus, we could really use some more placemats for our table. If that isn't incentive to get 'em done, I don't know what is.


A trip to The Workroom is never complete without unplanned stash building. I picked up an FQ bundle of Parson Gray's Curious Nature. My bundle doesn't include any of the forest green colourway. It's all navy, grey, blacks and browns and it is oh so manly. It's just asking to be made into a guy quilt. I'm thinking maybe something for my dad. A combo birthday and fathers day gift perhaps?


My final splurge was these three Art Gallery FQs from the Poetica line. When I saw them posted in The Workroom's flickr photostream I know I had to have them.


Finally, I leave you with some cuteness. Levi decided his soother needed a yogurt bath. And his hair needed a yogurt shampoo. His dad and I then decided that HE needed a bath!  All in all, a pretty wonderful Sunday.

Whut?! It's yummier this way!

2 comments:

  1. Well, of course his hair needs a yogurt shampoo... hair need probiotics too! :P

    I love that FQ bundle. I don't think I've ever really seen a collection of masculine-looking fabrics before. Can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great fabric choices. The placematts look great too!

    ReplyDelete