Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Don't Like Templates

I really can't believe it's been almost a week since my last post. The weekend was a whirlwind of family visits, first with my sister's family and then with Kivi's dad and his wife.

Seeing my sister inspired me to get started on her quilt. Denise Schmidt's Stacking the Odds quilt uses templates. I've decided I hate templates. These templates are printed on one large sheet of page, double-sided, so you can't simply cut them out. You have to trace them on to template plastic or cardboard. Of course, I didn't have enough template plastic. And cardboard isn't see through, so you end up having to get all creative and use multiple rulers and stuff to do the "tracing." Did I mention there are 23 templates? I got so annoyed with the whole process that I put everything away on Saturday night and went out first thing on Sunday morning to buy big sheets of acetate so that I could simply trace and cut the darn things out. I still have a few more to do and then I can start planning my layout. The actually sewing of this quilt should go very quickly. It's the tracing and cutting and planning that's all the work.

In other news, I ordered a Kona Color Card and am anxiously waiting for it to arrive so that I can choose the colours for my Sew Intertwined Quilt. I really want to get my ordered before the first tutorial is posted.

And now, back to those templates...

No comments:

Post a Comment