Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Introducing...The Hungry Caterpillar Quilt!

The sun is shining in Toronto today, so Levi, Kivi and I got all bundled up and headed out to photograph my latest finish, the Hungry Caterpillar quilt.  You can read about my progress here, here and here.


I used a panel for the main portion of this quilt. I bought it over a year ago and was just waiting for the right project. My initial plan was to finish this quilt in a week so that my mother could bring it back to Ottawa at the end of her visit in November, so using a panel seemed like a fast and easy solution. It didn't quite work out though. I finished the quilt top quickly, but decided to try some free motion quilting and well, it took a long time.  But it was worth it! The FMQ is definitely the star of this quilt.


The outer, red border is stitched with straight lines at random widths that cross at the corners.  The blue inner border is a loop da loop pattern and the marbles in the centre of the quilt is pebble quilted. I really stretched my skills with this project.


Finally, I stitched some doodles in the white spaces in the panels. I drew trees, clouds, worms, leaves and flowers.



The quilt is backed with a cute flannel print. Quilting with flannel is a royal pain! So! Much! Lint! But the softness makes it worth the trouble.


The binding is the green ombre from V and Co's Simply Color line. I had hoped for more variation in the colour, but I'm still happy with the result.


So there you have it: the Hungry Caterpillar quilt! I'll be mailing it out to my dear friend tomorrow. I hope she and her baby-to-be enjoy snuggling beneath it for many years.


I'll be linking up with WIP Wednesday tomorrow with Freshly Pieced and the Canadian Needle and Thread Network.

Right Click to Save ImageWIPWednesday

9 comments:

  1. So cute! I love your quilting on this. It really is the star of the show, and it's hard to upstage Eric Carle! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disclaimer: despite what the caption may imply, that is not actually Lisa's dear friend and her baby-to-be in the final photograph. Those are two professional members of the Modelling Association of...oh, who'm I kidding, it's me and Levi. We're sitting on a bench in front of a bar the morning after New Year's Eve. Don't judge us. It was all Levi's idea.

    Anyway, we hope Lisa's dear friend really likes the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, that is adorable! I am stopping by from the WIP hop, I would love to have you come by and see what I have been up to :) http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/01/wip-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you put those panels together, and your fmq is fabulous. Of course, your models are awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I am new to quilting. I have a baby on the way and wanted to make something special. Do you know where I can get the quilt kit? Or did you buy the pieces separately. I am in Markham. Do you have any suggestions for a beginner. (I have a little bit of sewing experience, have made tops and skirts from patterns in the past)

    ReplyDelete