Thursday, July 25, 2013

Skirts and Slabs

I really wanted to write a WIP Wednesday round-up post yesterday, but the day totally got away from me and the evening was spent trying to get the little ones to Go the *^D% to Sleep (warning, link contains copious use of the F-word).  So, instead of a WIP post, I'm just going to share photos of the projects I've completed in the last week.

The Skirts

It's summer and I'm not working which means I get to dress for comfort. I came across some terrific jersey knit at Fabricland from the Heaven & Helsinki line by Michael Miller. Before cutting into it, I wanted make a test skirt so I used some navy knit I had bought for Sewing Summit and didn't actually use. I loosely followed this tutorial for a gathered skirt that I found on Pinterest.  
It's not the best or most flattering photo ever, but it does a good job of showing the skirt. It was really easy and quick to put together. It's also the most comfortable skirt ever. I love it! So, I made it again in the Miller print. And...I didn't love it this time. The Miller knit is lighter and whereas the navy skirt wasn't super flattering, it wasn't terrible either. The Miller one did not look good on me at all. So I spent some quiet time with my seam ripper and opted to make a simple A-line knit skirt. I didn't use a pattern. It took me about 30 minutes to make (I used the waistband I'd already made for the gathered version) and I really like it. It's incredibly comfortable. I still have to hem it but here it is:
I now have four knit skirts - two made by me and two that I purchased. They have become my official uniform of summer 2013. These skirts and nursing bras, that is!


The Slabs

I made two more Slabs for Calgary, bringing my total up to four. I'll be sending them off shortly. These are a blast to make and I'm tempted to do a whole quilt. The best thing about them is they are made entirely from scraps.

Of my four slabs, the pink is definitely my favourite. 

So that's what I've been up to. I hope y'all are having a happy and productive week!

2 comments: