Monday, September 2, 2013

A Peek at My Sewing Space & a New Thread-catcher!

Now that I have a dedicated sewing space (yahoo!), I can finally create an optimal set-up. My sewing desk can fit both my machine and cutting mat. I have five drawers that the tabletop sits upon which are being put to good use. The top drawer holds my most reached for tools: rotary cutters, fabric, paper and pinking scissors, pencils, needles, seam ripper, etc.
Drawer two is for threads and bobbins. Small rulers, templates and my sewing machine manual are in drawer three. Drawer four holds my washi tape and the presser feet that I don't fit in my machine. Finally, drawer five has my zippers and ribbons.
One thing I noticed after sewing in the new space for the last week is the amount of thread that was collecting underfoot. So, last night I decided to whip up a thread catcher. I used this tutorial with modifications. I used template plastic in the upper seam to keep the basket rounded (instead of boning/belting) and I filled the pincushion with rice and lentils. To be honest, parts of the tutorial were a bit unclear, but having made reversible totes in the past, I was able to figure it out.

The fabric I used for the lining is Jewels by Lizzy House (my favorite blender ever) and the outside fabric and pin cushion fabrics are from the Riley Blake collection Sew Happy Together. I think they are just adorable, don't you?  I'll admit, this isn't my cleanest sewing job ever. I wanted to finish it quickly, you see. Despite some untidiness, I just love the end result!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing a peek if your sewing space! I have something small that I put threads in but it doesn't work for me. I like the size of your thread catcher. It looks like it will hold fabric trimmings too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What impresses me most is not how cool this thing is but the fact you made it from start to finish in one night.

    Also? In an emergency you could eat it. How many sewing projects can you say that about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thread catcher is adorable! I am dream about getting my sewing stuff organized in one space.

    ReplyDelete