Wednesday, September 4, 2013

WIP Wednesday - The Marcelle Medallion Edition

I'll admit it. I have a problem. I can't say no to a great QAL, especially when I already own the pattern. So when I saw on Instagram (add me!) that Penny Poppleton was hosting a Marcelle Medallion quilt-a-long, I couldn't resist. Have you seen this quilt from Liberty Love? Go take a peek at some of the finished quilts on Pinterest. I'll wait. Pretty gorgeous, right?

The centre star looks daunting, but Penny wrote a terrific tutorial for drafting a foundation piecing pattern from the templates provided in the book. I was nervous to try it, but took a deep breath and just went for it. I'm so glad I did! 

I was sure to photo copy the individual template pieces before taping them together, just in case something went wrong. And I traced on tracing paper so I was able to just flip the pattern over and photocopy the mirror image. Easy peasy!

I also began pulling fabric from my stash for this quilt. I am basing the palatte on a print from Shelbourne Falls by Denyse Schmidt: pink, red, navy and teal, plus low volume prints for the background.
I'm continuing to make progress on my other major projects. My Stacking the Odds quilt will be basted at the end of the month, so that's my deadline for making the quilt back. I'm half done the FMQ on the Tula quilt for Lila. Plus, I made a few Farmer's Wife blocks this week! The first is No. 23, Country Farm. I machine pieced it and I am surprised by how well it turned out, because I wasn't totally sure about my fabric choices.
The second block is No 25, Cups and Saucers. It's the first monochromatic block I've done for this quilt and I love it so much! I'll definitely do more.
Finally, last night I took a Serger Essentials class at The Workroom. It was a great introduction to sergers although now I really want to buy one! I made four luncheon napkins. They have a rolled hem and I used a piece of vintage fabric I purchased over a year ago at St. Lawrence Market from Jan of Fabrique Fantastique. It's perfect for napkins.
Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is up to!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced




8 comments:

  1. I am joining in too, the tutorial looks great I am definitely giving it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to join in the Marcelle QAL but I think I might be late to the party. Can not wait to see how yours comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always pick such beautiful fabrics! That medallion will be gorgeous... A friend made one and it took her a while but having seen it in person, I think it was worth her time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to do this one too, but since I am away for 3 weeks soon, might be biting off more than I can chew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The medallion is going to be really nice - I love that Shelbourne Falls print, it's an interesting starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So assiduously planned! Most impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be one very beautiful quilt! I am most impressed that you have all your fabrics planned and at hand. That doesn't happen here now that my kids are adults, and it certainly didn't happen when they were babies!

    ReplyDelete