Sunday, October 27, 2013

Not Here

I've been getting quite a bit of sewing done lately, but I haven't found time to blog. When faced with the choice between blogging or sewing, sewing always wins. Also, I'm finding Instagram is a great way to interact with the online quilting community. It's quick and easy and satisfies my desire to share my progress.

Here's a quick catch-up of what I've been working on lately:

I whipped up a voile infinity scarf. I get really hot, really quickly, so a light scarf is just right for this fall weather.

I took a class at TheWorkroom and made a WikstenTova. I LOVE IT! I'd been hoarding this fabric for over a year. It's called African Fusion (I think) from Pat Bravo's Indie line.

It's not breast feeding friendly, but I don't care. It's comfortable and the fit is great. I had to make one change to the pattern which was to add bust darts. As a result, the sleeves have a bit of a gather at the shoulder, but it looks like it's there by design! Bonus!

I've already begun work on a second Tova.

I've also been hard at work on my spool mini quilt. It's almost done and I'm hoping to finish it in time to enter into the Blogger's Quilt Festival.

There's also been a fair bit of garment sewing related purchases. I've really bitten the clothes sewing bug! Much to my dismay, most commercial and indie patterns' largest size for bottoms are too SMALL for me! It's pretty upsetting, because while I'm certainly not thin, I don't think of myself as fat. Luckily there are a few designers out there making patterns for women my size. I've ordered several and am waiting for them to arrive.

On the left is a stretch railroad denim and on the right a chambray, both from Robert Kaufman.

That about catches y'all up with my activities. I'm off to continue work on Tova 2.0.

P.S. I'm posting this from my iPad using the Blogsy app. I hope it works and doesn't look too wonky!

2 comments:

  1. I really don't understand why designers make patterns that don't actually fit people. Is it ego? Cluelessness? It's like they don't want sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand sewing over blogging. It's nice to feel something's been accomplished at the end and the digital world just never seems to provide that...

    Your tova looks great!! I just made a second one a little while ago but fell victim to that sewing over blogging thing and have not posted about it... Sorry to hear about your pattern-finding struggles. It's always a crap-shoot, I find, trying to get something and know whether or not it'll be flattering to begin with, let alone fit. And no, you're certainly not fat - far from it. Pants and skirts are tough to find good patterns for... Stupid designers.

    ReplyDelete